Dr. Brian Gray – Washington, DC
The challenge: My referring endodontist’s office manager, Jen, is in for a hygiene visit and has a sensitive tooth. I just sent two emergency patients to their office, causing a bit of chaos – so she needs to get back there ASAP. Of course, her treatment is free because we love her and her office and the fact that they see our patients on short notice. Jen has meticulous hygiene and regular recare but a nagging abfraction lesion on the facial of #11, which has cold and tactile sensitivity. Worse yet, she told me about it last time and we kind of blew it off (You know, the “shoemaker’s kids” syndrome).
So, how can I numb her up, place a composite that looks highly esthetic, and get her back to work in the most efficient and effective way I know how? Easy. I’m even going to take photos during the entire restoration and still get it done in less than 15 minutes using Tokuyama Dental’s new OMNICHROMA composite. The first truly UNIVERSAL ONE-SHADE COMPOSITE.
- 20 seconds: Pre op photo. I anesthetized Jen in the hygiene chair with Mepiviciane 4%, no epi. Note the Carbocaine injection site delivered during prophy.
- 20 seconds: Place moderate bevel with fine diamond.
- 20 seconds: MicroAirAbrasion (Danville, PrepStart), with Zekrya Gingival Protector (DMG America (Zenith)), for superior bond strength and no gingival trauma.
- 60 seconds: Full etch and rinse.
- 90 seconds: Gluma desensitizer (Kulzer), Tokuyama Universal Bond (Tokuyama Dental), air dry. Bond requires no agitation or curing light!
- 60 seconds: OMNICHROMA placement. Note the white-opaque color - no worries, it will cure to match the adjacent tooth structure.
- 30 seconds: Light cure.
- 60 seconds: 13 fluted carbide (Brassler), smooth and contour.
- One minute: Polish with Enhance (Dentsply Sirona) and PoGo (Dentsply Sirona) system.
- One minute: Admire the restoration. Take some more photos.
- Two more minutes admiring that new composite, WOW! No time spent on shade selection, easy placement, great polishing, durable stuff, reliable company. Alright, you go Tokuyama, we are loving your OMNICHROMA!
- OK everyone, back to work. We’ve got patients to treat. And we better order more OMNICHROMA because we are using it all the time!
Brian Gray, DDS maintains a fee for service cosmetic restorative practice in Washington, DC.